Herringbone Neck Warmer

by Craig on December 11, 2007

The Herringbone Neck Warmer has all the makings of a fantastic last minute holiday knit. It uses 1 hank of Sheep Shop One yarn, which comes in great colors for women and men; it’s a worsted weight yarn knit on size 11 needles, so it moves along quickly; and, it’s a cool stitch pattern that’s fun to knit.

Herringbone Neck Warmer

We used color “fall”. Any of the Sheep Shop One multis or even the solids would be wonderful. Here’s how you can make your own –

HERRINGBONE NECK WARMER

SIZE
one size fits most

MATERIALS
Sheep Shop One Yarn, 1 hank & Size 11 needles (10” straight or 24” circular)

GAUGE
22 sts = 4 inches in herringbone stitch, Note: since this is a scarf, gauge is not critical

PATTERN NOTES
sl1 – slip one stitch from left to right needle as if to purl
psso – Pass the Slipped Stitch Over

STITCH PATTERN

Row 1: K1, * sl1, k1, psso but knit through back loop first; repeat to last
stitch *, K1.
Row 2: P2tog and keep on left needle, p 1st stitch again and drop both stitches
off needle.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 to desired length.

UPDATED, 8/4/2011: Because the stitch pattern can be confusing, I made this short video. Check it out!

PATTERN

CO 30 sts.

Work Stitch Pattern for 28 inches, ending with Row 2. Bind off all stitches.

With yarn doubled, pick up and knit 15 stitches along bound off edge. Knit 1 row.

Buttonhole row – K3, yarn over, k2tog, k5, k2tog, yarn over, k3.

Knit 1 row. Bind off.

Sew buttons on beginning side of scarf corresponding to buttonholes. Weave in ends.

I knit this over a 4 day period while working on other projects. It probably would’ve been finished in 2 days if I’d worked on nothing else. Enjoy!

{ 34 comments }

Jo Jensen December 11, 2007 at 2:46 pm

this is so nice of you and generous to share the neckwarmer with us. i will be ordering some of the yarn after i look the colors over. thank you, jo

Sharon Rose December 11, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Fantastic! Has anyone made one in a solid color? I’m curious as to how the stitch looks in one color.

Craig December 12, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Thanks, Jo! I’m glad you like the neck warmer.

We haven’t knit one in a solid color yet, Sharon. I imagine it will look great because the stitch pattern is so bold.

Nadine December 13, 2007 at 7:37 am

Which stitch are you knitting through the back loop when you psso but knit through back loop first ?

Thanks.

Craig December 13, 2007 at 8:08 am

You’re knitting through the back loop of the stitch you’re passing over. It worked well for me to put it back on the left needle and then knit through the back.

Nadine December 13, 2007 at 8:51 am

That is what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure. I think I will enjoy knitting this. Thanks for the pattern.

Kira December 14, 2007 at 2:33 pm

I’m working on this pattern now and i dont know if i’m wrong but does row 2 end with a purl stitch? i swear i didn’t miscount because there row 1 stitches out perfectly… maybe i’m doing it wrong?

Craig December 14, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Yes, row 2 ends with a purl stitch. You purl 2 together then purl the first stitch a second time, just like you’ve been doing across the whole row. If you’re working across the row and end with a single stitch on your left needle, then something has gone wrong. You’re stitch count shouldn’t change from row to row.

Hope that helps!

Kira December 14, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Thanks so much!! my pattern doesn’t look as clean as the one above… does this look right? something about it still makes me think i’m doing it wrong….

Kira December 14, 2007 at 7:07 pm

oops here’s the pic (click my name)

Susanne December 14, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Could someone elaborate on Row 2 a bit? I know it shouldn’t seem this difficult but I’m having trouble visualizing purling the 1st stitch again. I feel like my pattern looks odd.

Craig December 15, 2007 at 10:36 am

Yes, Kira, that’s it!

Craig December 15, 2007 at 10:42 am

For row 2, you’ll purl two stitches together and leave them on your left needle. Then purl the first stitch on the left needle again; then slip both stitches from the left needle.

The first step, purling two stitches together, is a decrease, so you need to purl that first stitch by itself to create a second stitch and keep your total stitch count the same.

I hope that helps!

Susanne December 15, 2007 at 11:26 am

Thanks so much Craig! I may stop by the store today just for some reassurance. I’m looking forward to giving this as a gift to my brother’s girlfriend!

Kristin December 15, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Thanks so much for such a beautiful pattern! I started it this morning and after 4 false starts am getting the hang of the pattern and it’s looking great. Thanks again.

Cara December 28, 2007 at 8:15 am

Hi –
I am also having problems with this pattern–sorry I know it’s essentially only two lines, but I appear to be too much of a dunce to figure them out!

You said earlier that the stitch count should never change from line to line, but given that there are decreases on both lines, but no increases indicated, I’m not sure how that could be…

I get that in line two you purl two together, and then move that stitch back onto the left needle and purl it again. Then you say “drop both stitches off the needle”– as far as I can tell that’s still only one stitch, and by “drop it off the needle” do you actually mean just move it back to the right needle (not actually drop it off)?

sorry! I hope I’m not just over thinking everything —I love the way this pattern looks and am itching to give it a go, but after starting over several times I figured I’d come nag you about it!

thanks :) cara

Craig December 28, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Hi Cara,

There actually are increases on both rows. On row one you have the passed over stitch (decrease), but you knit it through the back loop first, which is an increase.

On row two, you purl 2 stitches together (decrease) – and keep the 2 stitches on the left needle – then you purl the first stitch on the left needle again (increase) before dropping both on the needle. You don’t move the first purl stitch back to the left needle.

I hope that helps!

Craig

Cara December 29, 2007 at 3:45 pm

it does—thank you!!!

Sahfi December 30, 2007 at 1:51 am

Craig,

I just bought the yarn for this while in your shop this afternoon, and I’ve already finished it! Nice little project for auto-knitting. I’m going to wear it tomorrow.

Thanks. I always want to use hand-dyed or print yarns, but sometimes it overwhelms a sweater. This couldn’t be prettier.

Lisa September 30, 2008 at 12:18 am

Hi there, I realize this page is old, but I stumbled across it and LOVE the look of this! I think I have figured out the majority of the pattern, but the part that has me (a beginner!) confused is the button hole part. When you say “with yarn doubled, pick up and knit 15 stitches” – what does that mean? Specifically the yarn doubled bit. Any help would be appreciated – I would love to make this neckwarmer!

Craig September 30, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Hi Lisa,

“yarn doubled” means that you are knitting with 2 strands of the yarn. If you’ve wound your yarn into a center-pull ball, hold both ends together and begin knitting.

You can also wind some of your yarn into a second ball and knit from both at once. Hope that helps!

Lisa October 1, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Oh wow – I would not have guess that – thanks! Now if I pick up and knit 15 stitches, am I knitting in every other stitch – there would be 30 across – correct? I am really grateful for your help! :)

Craig October 2, 2008 at 7:07 am

You’re welcome!

It’s been a while since I’ve knit this, so I don’t remember what the bound off edge looks like. But yes, you want to pick up the 15 stitches evenly across the piece.

W. October 25, 2008 at 12:02 am

Can you recommend an average “desired length”? I am making this as a gift for my brother so I can’t really try it out on him first. Thanks!

W. October 26, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Please ignore my previous question. I just re-read the pattern and realize you did specify 28 inches!

Jean November 4, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Please explain again Row 1 of Herringbone neck warmer. I knit one, sl l, psso but knit in the back first. Do I put the slipped stitch back on the left needle, knit in the back, put it on the right needle, and drop the slipped stitch on the right needle to slip back over the knitted stitch, knit and then what???? I am not sure I am doing it right tho come out with the right amount of stitches. It is a neat neck warmer and the second row seemed easy enough.

Cyndi November 19, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Love this design!…and thenks for the pattern! Which colorway is pictured above with pattern?

Skeezix November 22, 2008 at 9:15 am

I know that I always have a problem figuring out herringbone. I’ve used the pattern for several scarves and I’ve found this tutuorial helpful:

Jean November 24, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Thank you for finding that tutorial. That was great help. It makes everything clear. It is so appreciated as this is a nice neck warmer.

Shirley February 10, 2009 at 2:13 am

Love the look of this. Will be knitting this to match fingerless gloves and giving the set a Christmas gifts this year. Thank you!

Lorna McLaughlin April 17, 2009 at 11:54 am

Is it possible for you to do a video or photos of the stitch progression as without seeing it the directions seem to not make complete sense. I have looked all over and have found some herringbone stitch tutorials, but, this stitch is different…I love it and REALLY want to do this scarf, but, remain at a loss as to how to visualize this pattern’s stitches.

Barbara May 15, 2009 at 7:14 am

Good morning Craig,
I am trying this pattern and cannot get it! You cast on 30 sts. After row 1 how many sts should there be?
After row 2 how many sts should there be?

I’ve attempted this pattern about 4 times. Don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

Barbara May 18, 2009 at 8:38 am

Good morning,

I got it! Thanks to one of my co-workers.

Craig May 19, 2009 at 8:41 am

Oh good, I’m glad you got it! It is confusing until someone shows you.

{ 5 trackbacks }