Kathy’s Baby Hats

by Elizabeth on July 25, 2008

It seems like every day a customer comes into the store looking for a quick baby knit. We usually recommend a sweater, but why not a hat? They’re great for protecting little heads from the sun and for keeping warm in the air conditioning.

Kathy's Baby Hats

Kathy came up with three adorable hat patterns using a wonderful baby yarn, Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. Each hat has a different brim and crown–you could make just one, or present the new parents with a set. Click here to download the pattern.

These hats are a great addition to your baby pattern repertoire, especially if you’re looking for a last-minute gift!

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Courtney Craver October 20, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Where can I buy some of these? I am looking to get some for some studio portrait sessions I have coming up! :) They are adorable!

Lara October 22, 2008 at 10:34 am

I started on my first hat last night and it’s already looking cute! Thanks for the pattern, Kathy!

judi June 7, 2009 at 11:21 pm

i would like to make this hat in a bigger baby size than newborn? can you tell me how to change the pattern to size it up?
thanks!

Kim July 31, 2009 at 1:25 pm

The hats are adorable. My daughter has been asking for a striped hat and I wanted to use the baby cashmerino I had on hand.

I also would like to know how to size up this hat (see Judi’s comment). I would be interested in a size for 5 yr old. Many thanks.

Erica June 8, 2010 at 3:20 pm

LOVE these hats! One question. Are they knit on circular or dpns? I’m more comfortable with circ. needles. Thanks!

Craig June 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm

We started with a circular and switched to double points. If you don’t like dpn’s, you could use 2 circ’s or the magic loop technique.

Jessica Hsieh December 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hi! These hats are so cute!! I wanted to make a rolled brim hat with an icord top for my one year old nephew. Could you tell me how to size-up this pattern? Thank you and Happy Holidays!!!

Linda January 4, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I love these hats but my grandkids have big heads. Lol. Please could u give measures or patterns for larger sizes. Thanks in advance, Linda.

Joan Baierl March 12, 2011 at 10:48 am

Thank you for the newborn pattern. I also would like to know if there are changes for a little larger hat. Say 1-2 yrs of age. Thank you so very much. Joan.

Jeanette Duurvoort April 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

On version 3, after the seed st. rim, do you change to larger needles-as the other patterns. Thankyou!!

Craig April 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Yes, change to your larger needles.

Jeanette Duurvoort April 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

Thank you!! I thought so but I wanted thee expert who came up with these adorable beanies.

Patrish October 3, 2011 at 10:09 am

Am joining the chorus of those who would like to know how to make these for an older child – so cute!

Jil November 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I am trying it with a larger gauge for a 6 month old baby. Using US 5 DPN and thicker yarn.

Liz Washburn January 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thanks for posting these cute patterns. I have some Cashmerino and want to knit up a quick hat.

Irene Holl April 9, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Thank you for the pattern. Been looking for a cute baby hat for a co-worker who is expecting.

Elizabeth June 15, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the pattern with so many options. I love the Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino too.

I think I’m a tight knitter because my first one was super small. I’m going to try the next with size 4 needles (3 for ribbing).

I’d like to make the striped version and like how the picture shows even stripes. Do you know how many rows you changed colors after the rib?

Thanks again.

Darlene Matthews August 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

These are so sweet – My blood sugar went up just looking at them. I’m going to knit a bunch of them for” Shaken Baby A/ Purple Period of Crying awareness month in Nov. Thanks for these adorable patterns . I have used the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino in the past – It knits up beautifully and makes a treasured keepsake

Jeanne Waller Campbell November 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm

These are adorable. I’m trying to locate a pattern for a girl’s baby cap has has a ruffle after the ribbing. Have misplaced my pattern. Would you have one?

Mary A Roth August 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

Tried to look for free pattern (Kathy’s Baby Hat) and the instructions do not show up???

Craig September 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

If you click on the words ‘click here’ above, you’ll download a pdf with the pattern. HTH!

Joan October 13, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Have you made changes to this pattern for a 6-12 month child? Baby is growing. Thank you. Joan