Montana Scarf

by Craig on October 9, 2008

It’s started to get chilly in the mornings here in Philadelphia. It warms up as the day goes on, yet there’s still a sense of fall in the air. One morning, without warning, it will be cold. And even though I only have a short walk to the shop, I hate to be cold. In preparation for that day, I knit the Montana Scarf.

Craig's Montana Scarf

Made from Tahki Montana yarn, a beautiful bulky 100% unprocessed wool roving, the Montana Scarf is a whopping 7 inches wide by 84 inches long. In the event of extreme cold, you could wrap it around your nose and mouth – even over your head, if you wanted. And while it’s large and warm, it’s light and comfortable.

Montana Scarf Close Up

Here’s the pattern for the Montana Scarf.

MONTANA SCARF

SIZE
approximately 7” by 84”

MATERIALS
3 hanks of Tahki Montana yarn in bark
12″ US 13 straight needle

GAUGE
4.25 sts = 1 inch in stitch pattern, but gauge is not critical for this project

STITCH PATTERN
Row 1 (right side) – *K3, p3; repeat from * to end.
Row 2 – *K1, p1; repeat from * to end.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2.

SCARF PATTERN
CO 30 stitches. Begin stitch pattern with Row 1. Repeat until work reaches 84 inches.

Bind off loosely and weave in ends.

For now, the scarf is on display in the shop. I hope it’s a while before I need it!

{ 67 comments… read them below or add one }

Craig October 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

You can knit the Montana Scarf with any thinner yarn and corresponding needle, and it’ll still look great. If you use a DK weight or thinner, I’d add more stitches – the pattern’s a multiple of 6, if memory serves – so that it’s not too skinny. Glad you like the pattern. Thanks!

Jenny November 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

love this scarf! Knitting two for gifts this year. I’ll post a pic on my blog and fb page later today. Thanks!

Allison W. December 10, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Somewhere along the way, quite far in, I must have repeated a row, but I can’t find the mistake anywhere! Is this a pattern that would hide it well?

newdebbie58 December 31, 2011 at 5:55 pm

This is a great pattern! I will start it soon! Thanks so much!!

Ruth March 16, 2012 at 7:18 am

Does this stitch pattern have a name?

Helen May 14, 2012 at 10:48 am

This is really a neat scarf and thanks for sharing the pattern.

niccola June 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

This is great!
Thanks for sharing.

Myra June 14, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I am a real beginner, looking for an attractive pattern for a blanket. Do you think this would work for a blanket? Could it be done in a cotton? If not, could you suggest another pattern?
I love your website.
Thanks.

Craig June 15, 2012 at 10:38 am

Myra, this would make a wonderful blanket in cotton. The pattern has a 6 stitch repeat, so just add multiples of 6 to get the width you’d like. Have fun!

tasya July 22, 2012 at 2:19 am

hi Craig,
I wonder…. would it looks good if I use demet wool (30% wool 70% acrylic) n 3,25mm needle?
can i use the pattern k3 p3 or should i change it to k6 p6 for row1? n how about row 2
I’m looking forward to ur reply.
Thx

Lolah Soul December 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Love love love this scarf. I made 3 last year for Christmas gifts and am starting another today (my son lost his, but it’s nice to know someone else’s neck is being warmed-LOL). He specifically asked for the same scarf and my boyfriend says its the warmest scarf he’s ever had. Thanks for sharing!!!!

marianne h January 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm

just happened to see your sweet long scarf —-i will ask rob if he would like one just like it—it looks like such a great pattern—

Deborah lawson November 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I end with a purl stitches. Is this correct. I found one similar but last 3?stiches knit

Deanna December 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Thanks for sharing this great pattern. So easy and looks great !!! Made one for a Christmas gift and liked it so much that I am now making one for myself :) !!!

Ivy January 12, 2014 at 9:40 am

Hi,
Thanks for this scarf pattern! I’m knitting one for my cousin and one for my roommate. I was wondering, though, do you have a good suggestion for doing a type of chained edge on it?

Thanks!
Ivy

Craig January 12, 2014 at 10:23 am

I never thought of using a chain stitch with it. I found this description of three variations you can experiment with – http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/81 (in the bottom half of the page) – which might give you the look you’re picturing. Have fun!

Kelly Baehr February 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Looks very nice, and really easy to follow the pattern. I’ll start right away and knit it for my one of my grandsons – I’m sure he’ll love it too. Tks for the pattern.