Montana Scarf

by Craig on October 9, 2008

It’s started to get chilly in the mornings here in Philadelphia. It warms up as the day goes on, yet there’s still a sense of fall in the air. One morning, without warning, it will be cold. And even though I only have a short walk to the shop, I hate to be cold. In preparation for that day, I knit the Montana Scarf.

Craig's Montana Scarf

Made from Tahki Montana yarn, a beautiful bulky 100% unprocessed wool roving, the Montana Scarf is a whopping 7 inches wide by 84 inches long. In the event of extreme cold, you could wrap it around your nose and mouth – even over your head, if you wanted. And while it’s large and warm, it’s light and comfortable.

Montana Scarf Close Up

Here’s the pattern for the Montana Scarf.

MONTANA SCARF

SIZE
approximately 7” by 84”

MATERIALS
3 hanks of Tahki Montana yarn in bark
12″ US 13 straight needle

GAUGE
4.25 sts = 1 inch in stitch pattern, but gauge is not critical for this project

STITCH PATTERN
Row 1 (right side) – *K3, p3; repeat from * to end.
Row 2 – *K1, p1; repeat from * to end.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2.

SCARF PATTERN
CO 30 stitches. Begin stitch pattern with Row 1. Repeat until work reaches 84 inches.

Bind off loosely and weave in ends.

For now, the scarf is on display in the shop. I hope it’s a while before I need it!

{ 68 comments… read them below or add one }

Dawn October 28, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I love the pattern thanks for sharing it with us.

Cindy Groder November 3, 2008 at 1:40 pm

I just cast on the 30 sts and k3,p3. I had 2 sts left over, what do i do? thanks!
Cindy

Craig November 4, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Hi Cindy,

Just take a look again and make sure you cast on 30 stitches and that you’ve knit 3 and purled 3 across the whole row. I think you’ll find you’re count is off 1 stitch.

Hope that helps!

Sasa November 4, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Hi Craig!

I just cast this on at lunch . . .

I recently finished a pair of mittens for one of my friends, and of course, she now wants a scarf to go with them! I thought this pattern would be perfect! I’m actually using a lighter weight yarn (a little heavier than worsted weight), so I am using smaller needles (10 1/2) and started with 36 stitches. So far it looks amazing!

I bet next she will be asking for a hat to match too – ah well, the life of a knitter is always busy!

Thanks for sharing your “recipe!”

Ashley November 4, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Hi Craig,

Thank you SO much for this pattern! I usually get little bursts of energy to try out new patterns, and this one is looking SO beautiful! I’m making a rustic green one for my boyfriend and a black lambs wool one for myself… WHICH by the way, will be replacing the $42 scarf I was asking for a Christmas present! Yay for saving money!

Hope you’re staying warm on this election night. It’s 70 degrees here in Chicago! Who would’ve guessed? They’ll be selling hot chocolate at Obama’s rally haha

craftycarole November 30, 2008 at 10:38 am

the stitch pattern is really cool thanks for the pattern!

Craig November 30, 2008 at 10:54 am

You’re welcome. Glad you like it!

emily November 30, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for the pattern. I’ve been looking fo something to use with the stash of Lopi yarn. This sounds like just the ticket. We also live where snow and wind make it unplesant to walk to the car in the mornings.

Dianne December 2, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Great pattern..I cast on yesterday using some Noro I had in stash..and it’s growing beautifully!..Thank you!

Wanda December 22, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Thanks for the pattern. I started this today (Monday, December 22) at work as a Christmas present for myself. The pattern is one I can easily remember and it works up beautifully. I know I will be making this scarf again and again. Thank you very much!!

Miriam December 31, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for the great pattern! I’m making it with a beautiful deep smoky plum 100% baby alpaca (so soft and lofty) and it is coming out beautifully! I’m almost done and can’t wait to wear it. Cast on 24 stitches and am using 10 1/2 needles, so it is about 5 3/4″ wide. Love the alternative-rib type pattern, as it doesn’t curl in and so no need to block it. Thanks again! My husband really likes it, too, so will make it in wool for him.

Miriam January 4, 2009 at 9:57 am

I would really like to make a matching hat for this scarf, but am not sure how many to cast on, but more importantly, how to do the decreases so as not to lose the established pattern. Do you by any chance have a pattern for the hat to match this scarf? If not, do you think if I worked the decreases (k2tog or p2tog) only on the K1,P1 rows that it would come out alright? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and expertise!

Claudia McAllister January 20, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I really like this pattern and have knit it up about 5 times now. It works well with all kinds of yarns. In knitting it up as written, I found the pattern was not matched on the two sides and it appears to come out evenly if you knit it in multiples of 6 plus 3, so casting on 27 or 33. Thanks for posting this. It’s a great pattern for guys!!

Kristiana January 21, 2009 at 1:31 pm

This is a great pattern! I loved knitting it. I made two, in forest green and navy, as Christmas gifts. Thanks!

Barbara January 23, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I love this pattern, it is my favorite for a man’s scarf pattern. I made it up in a hunter green. Next one will be for myself. I really like how it has the same look on both sides. Thanks for sharing it.

Judy February 2, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I love this pattern! I’ve made 3 different scarves for my 3 college kids. I’ve made them in collegiate stripes in their own colors and they love them!!!! My husband even asked for one and we live in FLORIDA!!! Thanks for this pattern.

cath February 23, 2009 at 4:15 pm

does the second row……knit 1, purl 1, go directly on top of the knit 3, purl 3???

Craig February 26, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Yes, it does.

Sherry July 15, 2009 at 10:53 am

I actually have a yarn from Montana (Mountain Colors, from Corvalis, MT) that I think will make up beautifully in this pattern for my guy. It’s a merino wool multi-color twist – We’ll see. Definitely need it in the wind and cold out there! I didn’t know if you are familiar with the Mountain Colors yarns or not – They are beautiful!

Sarah Lopata October 25, 2009 at 10:24 am

Love the Montana Scarf….can I make a hat using this pattern?

Jeanette November 25, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Craig, thanks for this pattern it makes a great ‘stash reducer’. I am making it for my husband for our visit to Maine next week, just thought you might like to know that your pattern has gone international. Jeanette (from England)

Craig November 30, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for taking the Montana Scarf international, Jeanette! I’m glad you like it!

Barbara December 20, 2009 at 3:06 pm

re; the montana scarf. How do you recommend binding it off?
Thanks. I really love the pattern and am knitting a couple of scarfs for women at a transitional housing facility for Three Kings day.

Craig December 20, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I would bind off in pattern. So knit the knits and purl the purls as they appear.

Barbara December 21, 2009 at 9:43 am

Thanks so much.

Donna January 9, 2010 at 3:03 pm

This is a great pattern! Is there a Montana hat to match?

Craig January 12, 2010 at 8:09 pm

There isn’t a hat pattern, but it’s a good idea. I’ll put it on my to-do list!

Angela March 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Made this scarf, except much shorter. I used a two-toned yarn, and it’s absolutely beautiful! thanks for the pattern. this scarf kept me warm ALL winter, and what a winter it was!

Craig March 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Angela, your scarf sounds beautiful! This was definitely a winter for a good scarf. Glad you liked the pattern.

Jill (Minneapolis) April 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I found this via a Ravelry search “Man Scarf.” ; ) Love the stitch. Thanks, Craig. Here’s an idea: I started my version with an inch of K3, P3 ribbing (gleaned from another Man Scarf). It draws in the edge ever so slightly – a nice beginning and finish.

Craig April 10, 2010 at 8:02 am

I’m glad you like the pattern, Jill! Adding the ribbing at the ends is a great idea. I need to try that next time. Thanks!

Catherine April 18, 2010 at 9:06 am

Hi Craig – Thanks for this great pattern! I’m planning on making it for my boyfriend after I finish another project. My question is that I’ve seen some scarves where the ends curl in, but yours doesn’t seem to have that problem. Is it because of the bulky yarn? I’m using a slightly different yarn (Cascade 128 Superwash) that calls for size 10 needles, so still on the thicker side. Do you think I’ll encounter that problem? Thanks again!

Craig April 18, 2010 at 11:32 am

Hi Catherine, I didn’t have a problem with curling on any of the scarves I’ve made and I followed the pattern as it’s written. I think Jill’s suggestion, though, is a good one that maybe you should try. Just start and end with an inch or two of K3, P3 ribbing. Have fun!

darski April 26, 2010 at 11:57 am

I am always looking for interesting but easy stitch patterns. I love this scarf and now I plan to make one for my dearest uncle. Thanks a bunch. I think I will try the rib rows as well. Just thanks

Lynne September 7, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I love this pattern. I’ve knitted for a little over 2 yrs now making everything for everyone else first. I finally broke down this past winter( yes I am just now writing a review LOL ) and knit up a beautiful scarf for myself using this pattern. I used a bulky weight pure baby alpaca yarn from my favorite shop here in Wisconsin It took me about three skiens on about a 10 1/2 needle and it just looks beautiful and is so warm. I am asthmatic and wisconsin winters can really hit me hard. So I use it pretty much from November until the cold weather finally lifts in march even april. I love it. And have gotten many compliements on it from knitters and non-knitters alike. Always giving credit to the ” montana scarf ” I can’t thank you enough for posting this pattern. Also, I did noticed that in following the advice of the cast on in multi of 6 plus 3 the scarf actually lays much nicer when not in use and seems to wrap better when in use. So thank you to those to figured that out. I wish all the knitters out there … Happy knitting. I know I am a disabled female so I use mine for pain management. There is something very theraputic about the sound of the needles and the soft beautiful yarn. Just watch everything take shape from there is the icing on the cupcake : – )

Angela October 1, 2010 at 11:02 am

Im guna give this pattern a go for my husband im a learner so i hope it turns out okay. Wish me luck!!

Laura December 1, 2010 at 4:51 am

Dear Craig; To add to all the other knitters’ thanks, here I am thanking you two years after your first posters’ comments, which should tell you what a popular pattern this is. I am knitting it in a gloriously rich red in Rowan Big Wool and it lies beautifully (I’m making two, for Christmas presents; the other in black). Many thanks again, from the Isle of Man (British Isles), and Happy Christmas.

Craig December 1, 2010 at 7:39 am

Thanks for your kind words, Laura! Have a happy Christmas too!

joy December 26, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Dear Craig – thank you so much for this pattern, I have used it many times over and it is one of my favorite go to scarf patterns because it is so beautiful and unique, while being super simple. i’ve made matching scarfs for my nephews just casting on fewer stitches and they have gorgeous scarfs to keep them warm now! happy holidays.

Laurie February 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for the great pattern! I’m using it to make baby blankets too!

Craig February 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

That’s great, Laurie! I’m sure it makes beautiful blankets. I’ll have to try it.

MsMallo May 31, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I am using Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends. The color is dark, called Ebony but looks like charcoal to me, flecks of a light gray in loose hairs otherwise a very dark gray. Its a bulky, so I am using 10’s. I can’t remember if I have 3 skeins or not. Though I don’t know if I want mine so long anyway.

I am making this for my husband. I’ve only done a few rows and so far the stitch is harder to see, I am hoping as I go it becomes more obvious. If not maybe this will be charity, or he’ll have 2 of the same stitch but different colors. It seemed like a very good pattern for a man to me. (A woman can pull of a man’s pattern, but men can’t always pull off a woman’s.)

I’m a fairly new knitter and like the simplicity of this pattern. It seems to work up quickly even with my slower throwing style. If I do a second I’ll find a nice super bulky and use bigger needles, and I think I’ll knit tighter as well. Thanks for the pattern!

Craig June 3, 2011 at 8:51 am

You’re welcome, MsMallo! I’m glad you like the pattern. I think you’ll see it better as the scarf gets longer. Have fun!

MsMallo June 13, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Saw it better, liked that it was subtle with the darker color, but with the alpaca he didn’t care for the shedding. I think I’ll complete that one and send it to my brother in DC, it gets cold there too! While I can’t afford Montana at its regualr price I found it on sale online and got it in the slate color, keeps it dark (he’s color shy, we’re working on it) but shuold look good still. I had gotten some natural undyed wool from my local yarn store but I think I’d have to double it to make the stitch show up well with the smaller needle and thinner yarn, and at $20/ hank- even if it is 400 yrds- thats a lot to spend if I don’t really like how its turning out. Now to find a nice pattern for a sock yarn I am using for a scarf for my 8 yr old son….. So many things to make, one day I’ll re-start the blanket for my brother and sister in law, and make the scarf for my sister, a hat for my daughter, maybe even something for myself sometime!

Carlos September 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hello Craig : Do I have to alternate rows 1 and til I reach the 84 inches ? or just Row 1-until 84 inches -and at the end ,Row 2?

I´m starting to Knit and thogh it might sound silly, sometimes is hard for me to get it!
Thanks

Carlos September 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I´m sorry in first question I meant to alternate Rows 1and 2!

Craig September 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Yes, alternate rows 1 and 2 the whole way.

Bobby Miller October 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Hello Craig, I am just beginning to knit and am considering the Montana Scarf as my first project. Do you find this advisable or should I start with something else and then knit that scarf later? Any advise or suggestions you would care to share would greatly be appreciated.

Bobby

Craig October 5, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Bobby, I think the Montana Scarf is a good scarf for beginners. If you haven’t already started, I might begin with something that’s the same on both sides. For example, cast on an even number of stitches and k2, p2 (knit two, purl two) across each row. Have fun!

Rob October 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I like the pattern but need a scarf that is not as warm and not as thick. Can you recommend a yarn to use.

Rob (Knitting and crocheting for 43 years)