Climb and Swirl Cowl, Deluxe Version

by Craig on October 4, 2011

When the new colors of Lana Vida’s beautiful Hannah yarn arrived this fall, I planned on making another Climb and Swirl Cowl. I designed the cowl last year as a quick knit to stave off the suddenly cold weather. It’s made with just one skein of Hannah, which is a luxurious blend of baby alpaca, fine merino wool, and cashmere, so it makes a fun knit and a great gift.

Climb and Swirl Cowl, Deluxe Version

By the time I was ready to cast on for the new cowl, Rowan’s Kidsilk Haze had arrived. I’m a huge mohair fan; it takes dye brilliantly and has a soft fuzzy halo. I love putting a strand of mohair with other yarns. It adds depth to the color and, of course, makes it softer. Combining Hannah and Kidsilk Haze gives you a fabric made of baby alpaca, fine merino, cashmere, super kid mohair, and silk – in other words – fantastic luxury!

Climb and Swirl Cowl, Deluxe Version, detail

So with one strand of Hannah yarn in the color Forsythia and one strand of Kidsilk Haze in the color Ember, I cast on and knit the Climb and Swirl Cowl, Deluxe version. The only thing I changed from the original free cowl pattern was using a size 11 needle. The result is a soft fabric with beautiful drape. I wish I could send a swatch to you through the internet.

There are lots of fabulous combinations of these two yarns. Here are a few I think would look great.

Hannah and Kidsilk Haze Yarns

Hannah in Lake, Grass, and Rust; Kidsilk Haze in Trance, Fern and Marmalade

Hannah and Kidsilk Haze Yarns

Hannah in Bloom, Regal, and Charcoal; Kidsilk Haze in Blushes, Dewberry, and Smoke

CLIMB AND SWIRL COWL PATTERN

SIZE
one size – 14 inches tall, 23 inches in circumference

MATERIALS
1 skein Lana Vida Hannah Yarn, shown in Forsythia
1 ball Rowan Kidsilk Haze Yarn, shown in Embers
16-inch circular size 11 needle or size to achieve gauge

PATTERN
Holding a strand of each yarn together, CO 75 sts. Join in the round, being careful not to twist.

K2, p2 until piece measures almost 14 inches. BO in pattern. Weave in ends.

NOTE
For this pattern, it’s better not to mark the beg of the round. Just repeat the stitch pattern until you’re ready to bind off.

Enjoy!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Tiffany October 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Craig! This is genius! Do you think Hannah in magenta would work with Kidsilk in Candy Girl? Thanks!

Rina October 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love this! I just bought the materials to make one for my MIL for Christmas. Anyway you could do a quick video tutorial going over double knitting with such a fine yarn?

Craig October 17, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Rina, there’s no double knitting involved. You just hold the two yarns together throughout the project.

Amy October 23, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’m so excited to cast on with the gorgeous turquoise Hannah & Artyarns Rhapsody I bought yesterday after Clara’s class. It’ll be even better wearing it, remembering how much fun the class was & how fun it was with Craig & Clara helping me choose the yarns. :)

Craig October 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Amy, you’re so sweet! I can’t wait to see how your cowl looks. Please stop in when you’re done or send pictures. Thanks!

Sherri October 30, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Found this pattern online, started in the K2 P2 pattern and my cowl doesn’t look
like your pattern. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong mine looks like the ribbing of a glove or mitten. Thanks!

Craig October 31, 2011 at 10:35 am

It sounds like one of two things is happening, Sherri. Either you cast on an even number of stitches or you went off pattern by knitting or purling more or less than two in a row. Hope that helps!

Sherri October 31, 2011 at 11:45 am

Hi Craig-
Thanks for the advice, I figured out what I was doing wrong was when I got to
the end of the 1st row ended up with 1 purl stitch I just P1 and continued onto
K2 and that made the ribbing stitch pattern. Maybe this will help someone else.
Thanks again happy knitting!

Sherri

Nancy Bazemore November 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Love the cowl, the materials, the look, the softness. Has anyone designed a pattern for a hat along the same lines–possibly on a smaller needle or two up to the crown and then decreasing somehow to keep the pattern. I’d apprecaite any thoughts. Nancy Bazemore

Jane March 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

What would you suggest for doing this without the mohair? Is there another yarn you would recommend without mohair?

Craig March 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm

You can use Hannah by itself, which is our original Climb and Swirl Cowl. Just use a size #8 needle instead of a size #11.

Emily October 5, 2013 at 9:21 am

Can I double this pattern and cast on 150 stitches?

Craig October 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

Yes, you can, just cast on an odd number of stitches.