Karma Scarf

by Laura on April 11, 2013

Karma is our most recent spring arrival from Berroco Yarns! This 100% cotton is dyed in softly shaded hues. It has a unique mesh construction that keeps the cotton light & airy and lends a lot of gorgeous drape, as you can see in our new free Karma scarf pattern!

Since Karma knits up at a chunky 3 sts/inch, we thought a quick knit spring scarf was in order. After a little swatching, we settled on our trusty favorite- stockinette stitch. Then, we a decided to add a simple drop stitch to open things up and create more drape.

Our result was a nice, long scarf suitable for wrapping around at least twice, if not more, for a cowlish look. Pastels are big this season, and Karma’s colors add a pretty, pale pop to a neutral look!

Here’s the free pattern! Happy spring knitting!

MATERIALS
Berroco Karma (100% cotton; 50g /66 yds): 3 skeins.

NEEDLES + NOTIONS
Size 11 (8mm) 24-inch circular needle.
Stitch marker and darning needle.

ABBREVIATIONS
BO: bind off
CO: cast on
K: knit
P: purl

CO 16 sts.

Set-up row: *K4, yo; rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.

Row 1: *P4, k1; rep from * to last 4 sts, p4.
Row 2: *K4, p1; rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.

Rep Rows 1 & 2, until 2 yards of yarn remain, ending with Row 1.

Finishing
Loosely BO to first purl st, drop purl stitch from left needle and drop down. Pick up top running bar of unraveled
stitch and twist into 2 new stitches on left needle and include them in BO. Rep to end.

Block and weave in ends.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Christina Corbett April 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Question about this pattern before I get started. II’m reading that you just repeat Rows 1& 2, but that next line (*K4, yo; rep from * to last 4 sts, k4) is confusing me. It seems like the BO instructions correspond to the pattern in row 1 and not to that extra line. What am I missing?

Craig April 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm

The pattern was a little out of order somehow. The row you wrote out is the set-up row, and is only knit once. I’ve corrected it above. Let me know if you have more questions!

Christina Corbett April 25, 2013 at 12:21 am

Thanks, Craig! :)

Andrea April 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

According to the way this pattern reads there is a set up row and the Rows 1&2 to be completed until the end. Your picture shows that there are at least two yarn over rows in the middle of this pattern. Something is wrong here. Repeating row 1&2 would give you just a stocking knit pattern without any dropped stitches throughout the scarf.

Anne April 28, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I think I’m doing something wrong… I end up with three stitches at the end of the row, not four.

Laura April 29, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hi Andrea- You’re right, there are no yarn-overs in this pattern! It is, essentially, a stockinette panel (not counting those 2 columns of purls on the RS of the fabric). After you knit the whole scarf, you then drop the 2 purl stitches at the very end to create width. This is what is looking like yarn-overs to you (they look that way to me too!). I hope that helps!

Laura April 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Hi Anne- Hmmm, let’s see- do you have 19 sts on your needle or do you have 18? Maybe double check that & that you have knit the right # of stitches in between the purls. Hope that helps!

Laura May 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Hi Anne! I see the problem and have fixed it in the pattern. You need to cast on 16 sts. Then after the set-up row, you will have 19 sts on your needle.

Sorry for the confusion!

tanya May 31, 2013 at 8:11 pm

love this pattern and now working it for the second time, trying to get it to work … i know i’m doing the pattern correctly but don’t see those drop stitches … the finishing part, when there are 2 yards of yarn left, throws me … :(

tanya June 5, 2013 at 9:12 pm

SO cool – finally got it – love it!!

Samantha October 4, 2013 at 5:42 pm

This is perfect for a scarf I want to make but I am having trouble visualizing the end and how it translates into the two rows of what looks like droped stitiches. Is there anyway to take pictures or reference me to a website that describes what is happening at the end? Help!!!

Stephanie October 29, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I am not understand how to do the end of this pattern. Anyone feel like putting up a video?

Aly December 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I absolutely love this pattern! I just knitted up a shorter version to make sure I can do the finishing (which looks awesome), and I have a quick question about the end. Why do you add two stitches after dropping the purl stitch? It looks like my mini-scarf got longer at the end, but is that just my imagination? Thanks!

Craig December 13, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’m glad you like the pattern, Aly! We added two stitches after dropping the purl stitch to match the width of the dropped stitch. When we first tried it with just one additional stitch, the end pulled in. If you find the two stitches are making the end flair out, then just use one. Hope that helps!