Stephen West of Westknits and Steven Berg of StevenBe are bringing us their fiberlicious road show of knitting classes and events on January 22-24, 2015. This magical team of knitting and design inspiration will begin your year with an amazing breath of fun and creativity!
StevenBe (above, right) is Steven Berg, a fiber artisan armed with a wealth of experience, a daring sense of style, and a firm belief in the transformative power of creativity. Steven studied at Parsons and FIT in New York, before spending many years as a VP of design at Perry Ellis.
Steven now owns and operates a yarn shop in Minneapolis where he encourages his knit-crochet-fiber loving friends to push the limits. Steven reminds all fiber aficionados: ‘The possibilities are endless.’ ‘There are no mistakes, only variations.’ And to always remember to ‘Glam it up!’
Stephen West (above, left) is currently based in Amsterdam. His shawl designs and innovative colorwork have helped him become a widely recognized and respected designer around the world. Stephen self-publishes knitting patterns and books, and hosts several online knit-alongs each year like the Mystery Shawl Knit Along and Westknits Shawl Club. His simple, clean, architectural designs have now been knitted by thousands of knitters all around the world.
Steven & Stephen have taught classes and workshops – together and individually – at yarn shops across America and around the globe. In addition to their amazing classes, Stephen & Steven are bringing unique yarns and swag that will only be available during their visit.
Call us today at 215-893-9939 to reserve your space and be a part of this fantastic event!
INSPIRATIONAL TRUNK SHOW
$15 FREE! – Thursday, January 22, 6 to 7:30pm OR Saturday, January 24, 2 to 3:30pm
Spend some time with Stephen & Steven! See their fabulous creations and hear their true non-Hollywood stories!
MODULAR MAGIC SOLD OUT
$75 – Friday, January 23, 10am to 1pm
Come explore the magic of modern modular knitting with Stephen West!
In this 3-hour class, you’ll play with clever seamless knitting techniques and simple geometric shapes to build your own customized fabric. Stephen will guide you through some of his favorite shaping skills while you build and piece together your own fuzzy fiber puzzle. Stephen will also cover how to apply these fabric-building concepts to stylish sweaters, shawls, hats, and more!
Materials: Bring a colorful array of yarns and needle sizes (and a few crochet hooks too if you wish). Worsted weight wool yarns are recommended but please bring other weights and fibers for experimentation. Also bring any swatches or pieces of finished or unfinished knits that aren’t too precious to you (scarves, cowls, sweaters, etc…). We can play with picking up stitches from these old fabrics and add modular pockets, hoods, and collars to finished accessories and garments.
Requirements: You should be able to cast on, bind off, knit and purl.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
NEW PERSPECTIVES ON KNITTING SOLD OUT
$75 – Friday, January 23, 2 to 5pm
Broaden your knitting horizon and change your life with Stephen West and StevenBe!
This Dynamic Duo class is designed to be an amazing opportunity to have fun while learning Stephen & Steven’s favorite techniques and best tips and tricks. It will set you free from patterns as written and help you feel comfortable making your own modifications and experience the magic of mixology, taking a variety of yarns from different brands, weights, and fiber contents to create a magical and unique accessory or garment.
Start with a base pattern from Stephen or Steven and learn different methods of creating angles and edges, adding new colors, and combining fibers in unique ways to customize the pattern and truly make it yours.
You will need for class:
1. A Stephen or Steven base pattern: Lumpy Space, Earth & Sky, Colonnade, Enchanted Mesa, Eyelet Ponchini, Tasseled Slouch & Cowl, Really Rylie, or Cropped Cardi (your choice of base pattern supplied in class).
2. Minimum 3 yarns to work with, best to be a variety of weights or fiber contents. Several fine strands can be combined in this project. Yarns should be chosen prior to class so we can begin immediately. More yarns can be added during class.
3. A variety of needle sizes will be needed so bring a good selection, even a crochet
How it works:
1. Each student will begin his or her project in a corner, side, center, or top.
2. You will work on your project with guidance from Stephen and Steven for the first 20 minutes, including a presentation of their “Double Whammy: Best of Stephen & Steven’s Tips & Tricks.” You are encouraged to take good notes so you can complete your project after class.
3. This should be a fun challenge to guide you in thinking outside the box and working creatively. This workshop will leave you comfortable with deviating from the written pattern and making your own design decisions
4. You will be given direction and assignments to enable you to complete your project outside of class.
SHAWL EXTRAVAGANZA SOLD OUT
$75 – Saturday, January 24, 10am to 1pm
View many of Stephen & Steven’s shawl and accessory patterns made up in a true trunk show. Pick your favorite Westknits shawl and StevenBe accessory and begin your inspired knitting adventure. Receive hands-on tips and tricks from the two masters.
We will consult with each student to pick the perfect yarn combinations to create their own masterpieces. Students can expect a wonderful artistic class with a variety of projects to experience.
SIGN UP TODAY!
Do not miss this exciting knit & crochet opportunity – call us at 215-893-9939 to sign up today!